Sunlight Labs is an open source community of thousands dedicated to using technology to transform government.
- We focus on transparency- the idea that government can be more effective, more honest, and more accountable when it makes data about its process, operations, and influences available to the public.
- Our work revolves around opening up government data of all forms.
- Paid staff of Sunlight Labs are employees of the Sunlight Foundation a 501c(3) non-partisan non-profit organization. The Sunlight Foundation is:
- A think-tank that develops and encourages new policies inside the government to be more transparent and accountable
- A campaign to engage citizens to change government‚Äôs transparency policies.
- An investigative organization that uses the data and applications to demonstrate why we need those policies
- A grant giving institution that gives grants to organizations using technology to further our mission and create community
- An open source technology community that revolves around the Sunlight Foundation‚Äôs core mission Our community‚Äôs values:
This is about openness, not about politics. Check the partisan stuff at the door. It is fine to work on an angle around transparency that appeals to you and your political beliefs, but it isn‚Äôt fine to alienate the beliefs of others.
- Diversity is key- we welcome all members any gender, race, heritage, body, background or opinion. But most importantly, we actively seek to build a strong and diverse community. And we constantly need help and coaching on how to do it right.
- Our focus is on American governments- federal, state and local.